Friday, August 22, 2008

Camping in the Uintahs!

We had our annual camping trip to the Uintah's last weekend. My family goes every year, but Matt and I don't always go. Gas to get there is a little expensive and my family goes from Wednesday to Sunday. That's a lot of time to take off of work. But this year, we went and had a great time.
We drive through Wyoming by way of Evanston to get there. I didn't remember so many windmills in Wyoming! It's been a couple years since I've driven that way. They are apparently taking full advantage of their winds. I love the thought of getting basically free energy. I hope to get at least some of my power from a windmill one day...
We camp at a place called Sheep Creek lake. It's this fairly remote, really pretty lake not too far from Browne lake. We got there on Friday afternoon. As we pulled around the bend in the road leading to where we camp all we saw were hundreds of tents! I'm not exaggerating either. We usually have the place pretty much to ourselves except a few fisherman that come and go. But this year we were joined by a tent city (about 200 tents). Literally! (somehow I managed to get pictures of everything but the tent city. Sorry)
It's this group of people who go out about once a month and learn how to survive in a tent. They have classes and everything. They said that they were doing it so if the city they live in comes to them and says "you have to evacuate", they can go and make their "tent city" and survive. I guess it's a good thing to do, but having been a camper my whole life I guess that all just comes kind of naturally to me. They even had one member of their group that had a cow in a pen and they were milking it and selling the milk to other campers! The best part about the whole thing is, on Saturday morning it was a little stormy and the radio was saying it was going to snow so the ENTIRE group packed it in and left early. What are they going to do when they are told to evacuate in December?!? We didn't mind though because the weather cleared up a couple hours after they were gone and the rest of our weekend was peaceful and beautiful.
Steven had a lot of fun. This was his first camping trip where he was walking and old enough to really have fun and get dirty. And he took full advantage of that. Here are some of my favorite pictures from our trip:
Not very many of you may know this, but I am a closet photography dork. One day I hope to get a really nice camera and take beautiful pictures. Until then I will continue to take mediocre pics with my almost dead Point-and-shoot. (The number counter that tells me how many pictures I have taken, had to start over. Apparently it only counts up to 99,999.) Here is a pretty good one of our campfire.Here is Steven eating a cookie by the fire with my mom (gray jacket) and her sister, my aunt, Jackie. Note: A very dirty face, but it got dirtier.This is Steven and my cousin's little girl Laina. They got to sit at Steven's kid table. This was it's initiation flight. My mom picked it up for us at the Cache County Fair! My sister in-law has one like it, and we had been wanting to get one. My mom found them for a great deal! It folds down flat and fits great into the trunk of our car.

This is Steven helping Grandma cook Breakfast.
This is Brandon sitting with Grandpa by the fire. My dad loves Brandon and always spends a lot of quality time with him on our trips. Brandon likes Grandpa because he lets him sit on his lap and gives him lot's of doggie treats.
Steven had a lot of fun with this stick by the fire. Thank goodness uncle Brian wasn't there to teach him to stick the stick INTO the fire...

No comments: