I had sea monkeys when I was a kid and they were "fun" but they are really small and the boys probably wouldn't be able to see them. The kit for the Triops says that they double in size every day and that they get up to 2 inches long. This sounds great!
First of all, these little things are a lot more specific than I expected them to be. They have to be in natural spring water, and the water has to be within a certain temperature range, and there are really specific feeding and water changing instructions.... Maybe this wasn't such a good idea...
Well, too late now. We've opened the box and gotten Steven excited about it so we soldiered on, got the water to the right temp and got the eggs in. There were about 30 or 40 eggs in the kit. The kit says that the eggs are raised in a lab so they are pure and guaranteed to hatch, whatever that means. So we wait our 24 hours, then start to feed them. I can see tiny little things swimming in there so I am thinking that we are on our way to fun pets!
After a few days, on day 5 to be exact, I decide that something doesn't seem right. The little things aren't growing like the instructions say they should be. So I get on google and look up some pics (Google is my hero of all things searching on the web).
This is what our Triops are supposed to look like on day 5:
This is what our Triops actually look like on day 5:
That's right folks. We hatched Sea Monkeys (otherwise known as brine shrimp)!
Dangit! So we cashed in our warranty for more eggs and when they come in the mail we will see what Triops attempt #2 will bring us! I am just sad because Steven was so excited to hatch Triops and he can barely see the brine shrimp. Also, Stevie won't let me flush the shrimps so I hope that they die soon on their own. I really have no interest in raising them... hence NOT buying a sea monkey kit!
Stay tuned for more freaky sea life adventures from the Brown house!



No comments:
Post a Comment