Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving Weekend 2012

Our Thanksgiving Holiday was lots of fun.  We have started a little system for celebrating that seems to work well for our little family.  We have Thanksgiving dinner with Matt's parents and siblings, then we drive to Logan that night and spend the weekend with my family.  I like to go Black Friday shopping to the fabric store with my cousin.  I have found that the Joann's in Logan is far less crazy than the one by my house! 
Thanksgiving dinner was extra fun this year because my sister in-law is in a graduate program for teaching English as a second language and some of her foreign friends from her program joined us.  It was fun to be able to share our holiday, and it was fun to see how they joined right in, played with the babies & kids and enjoyed their time with us!   My Black Friday shopping was fun too! I got to go to the fabric store and scored some great deals, then later in the day, I went out again and got to go shopping with my sister-in-law.  We had lot's of fun wandering around stores and just browsing what was on sale.

One of my favorite traditions of the Thanksgiving weekend is putting up my parent's Christmas Lights.  We have found that if we all chip in we can get it done pretty quickly and it makes it a lot of fun!

Both of the boys love this because they get to spend the afternoon running around and playing outside!


Putting up the lights around the sidewalk is perfect for little hands to help with.  Steven was especially helpful with hooking the lights to the little sticks.  He loved helping and did a great job!  


Sam helped with the sidewalk lights as well.  He liked laying a stick next to each light so that they were ready to be stuck into the ground.


Another shot of Steven hooking the lights to the sticks.


Sam "helping" Uncle Brian by popping his gum bubbles.


Aunt Bonnie is super awesome at decorating my mom's tree, so she gets that job.  She always makes it look awesome!


My sweetie up on the roof helping line it with lights and getting everything hooked to the outlets.


My Dad and my Matt lining the front of the house with strands of lights.


Lining the tallest part of the front of the roof.  I love Brian doing a little jig at the bottom of the ladder.


Oh look! I'm in some pics on the blog!  I really was there helping! Thanks Bonnie for hijacking my camera so I can be in my pics too!


My mom hangs a wooden sock under the front windows with each of our names on them.  Here I am with mine.


Sam posing with his sock, and picking his lip.  He is quite a little picker. His lip, his scabs, his nose.... I am hoping that he grows out of it. Soon.


Steven with his sock. Love this little smile!


So excited to help Grandma punch out the new magnets for the garage door.


Brian, Nate and the boys helping grandma put the magnets on the garage door.  In this one I think that they are actually taking the Thanksgiving ones off and sticking them to my car...


Another shot of Matt hanging out on the roof.


Grandpa and uncle Brian trying to figure out why the star for the roof won't light up.  Half of the lights wouldn't light up and they didn't want to re-string it.


The boys and Uncle Brian figuring out the star still.  They did end up being successful and it didn't have to be re-strung! Yay!


Brian changing out burned out bulbs.  
At one point we looked out the front window and Brian and Nate were in the road. Brian had the broom, and Nate had the dustpan.  Apparently Nate had wondered what one of the burned out bulbs would do if it broke, and since no one was around, or so they thought, Brian went ahead and threw one out into the street.  It broke with a nice pop and just then, my dad came out of the garage and said, "now you've got a mess to clean up".  So they had to go out in the road and sweep it up.  Leave it to my brother!  


The finished result! It is a lot of work, and costs my parents a bit extra on their power bill, but it is one of our favorite ways to celebrate the holidays!  There is just something fantastic about falling asleep to the glow of Christmas lights on Christmas Eve or otherwise that I love!

No comments: