Saturday, August 22, 2009

Hogle Zoo

So to start out this post I have a little story... I was really motivated to post these pictures the day that we went to the zoo. Unfortunately, that was right about when our hard drive crashed. We have a storage drive that we keep most of our files on so that they aren't cluttering up our computers and then we can access them from any computer in the house. ALL of my pictures make up most of what is on this storage drive. Well, it's hard drive crashed.
Now that you are all done having your heart attacks and mourning the loss of my tens of thousands of pictures... I will take a minute to tell you how awesome my husband is. He has our storage drive set up as a mirrored hard drive. Basically, this means that it has two hard drives that are mirrored, so they both have all the exact same stuff on them and update each other automatically. So when I upload my pictures, I upload them to the storage drive, and it puts them on both hard drives. So, our little hard drive crash basically consisted of Matt ordering a new hard drive, us waiting a couple days for it to arrive, him installing the new hard drive, and a few hours of waiting for the old hard drive to mirror itself to the new one. No recovery process and being devastated over lost pictures of my children's childhoods. The zoo trip just fell in the middle of when we only had one hard drive, and I didn't want to do anything with it because I didn't want the second drive to crash too. Then I would be in trouble. I love my smart little husband!
Now onto the zoo! We have been wanting to take Steven to the zoo for a while, and we finally just went for it. We were excited to take Samuel too, but he is still at that age where he doesn't really care where he is, as long as mommy isn't too far away with the food, and he has a comfy place to sleep.
Also, a disclaimer: Samuel really was there at the zoo with us, even though he isn't in any of our pictures. A couple of things factored into this unfortunate occurrence. One, he was asleep in the stroller for most of the trip and we didn't want to wake him up just to get a picture. Two, I am a horrible mom and was having so much fun taking pictures of the animals and watching Steven's reactions that I didn't even think about Samuel being in some of the pictures. This is really not like me at all, so we will have to go again another time and be sure to get some pictures of Sammy too. All I have to say on the subject is... Oops.
Now, on to the pictures!!!


Steven LOVED drinking out of the lion drinking fountain. I find it ironic that they have these lion fountains all over the zoo, but they have no actual lions at the zoo....
If you look closely, you can see the stroller in this pic. This is as close as we get to a picture of Samuel.

The giraffes were one of Steven's favorites. He doesn't look like he is enjoying the very much in the picture. He was in the middle of saying to me, "No don't take my picture". I did it anyway, then he was so excited that there was a picture of him and the giraffe. Go figure.

This is the baby giraffe. He was super cute.

Here is Steven looking a the rhinocerous statue. Seconds after the picture snapped, and while it was processing so I couldn't take another one, Steven stuck his hand in the rhino's nostril and said, "I'm getting some boogers". Awesome.


Me and the Stevenator with the rhino. He was so excited to sit on it.

I love this one of the zebra bums. The birds that were in with the zebras were chasing them so they were on the other side of their pen, and wouldn't look at us. Hence the bums.

this monkey was cute. I loved the cleaning of the ears. It's great how animals have no manners...

this was one of Steven's favorite things. He thought it was so great to sit on the elephant's nose!


This is us with the oldest elephant. The zoo has two adult elephants. One of them just had a baby girl so she wasn't on display when we went. We went on a Friday, and the elephant had her baby on the Monday before. Pretty fun. We will have to go back once they have the new baby out to see.

Steven sitting on the Gorilla's feet. Right after this picture a downpour started, so we ran for the monkey house. By the time we got back out, the rain had stopped. That was fun.

This owl was really funny. When we walke dup to his cage, he puffed himself all up and was looking at us.

Then, he saw something else and stretched up to look at it.

Steven the turtle. I was surprised that he crawled into this shell. He has hit he head so many times when he has been under things, that he usually doesn't like to go under stuff. I guess a turtle's shell is just cool enough to be worth the risk.

Steven in "his" egg. He really loved playing in this, but there were about a million other kids waiting to play in it so his turn was pretty short.


The first time we saw the gorilla, he was sleeping by a window. Steven loved looking at him and his "piggies". As we were leaving the zoo, we walked back past the gorilla area, and he had woken up. I pointed him out to Steven, and Steven said "aint you, aint you, aint you, gorilla for waking up!" It was so sweet of him to thank the gorilla for waking up like that. I guess he is learning some manners after all.

Here is a video of the pelicans. At first glance, it looks like they are fishing. They kind of are, but if you watch, they are spitting out the dead fish. Matt and I were talking about this, before I started filming. Steven is talking about it near the end of the video if you listen closely. I love how he likes to be a part of the conversation. By the way, I don't blame them for wanting to eat only live fish. Who wants to eat something that isn't fresh?



We had a lot of fun at the zoo, but with younger kids, I think we are going to get a season pass so we can do the zoo in small doses, early in the morning when it is less hot, and less crowded. Making a day of it with tiny kids is just too hard.

No comments: