So, for Christmas in 2008 Steven got this little squishy octopus.
Grandpa saw it at the store and decided that it was so cool that Steven had to have it (that happens a lot...). Steven really loved it and would spend hours stretching it, squishing it and biting it...
Below you can see him Creating the "Heavy Eye" (his word for big used to be "heavy").
The whole thing made me a little nervous because I didn't know what was inside it and every time he would squish it really hard, I would have visions of some blue liquid squirting out and staining everything in sight.
Well, a couple of weeks ago Steven was playing with his toys and I ran upstairs to put something away. When I came back down he said to me "Mom, I think that that stuff came out of the octopus." and he was looking at his shirt. It seemed that my worst fears had finally been realized. It turned out that only a small hole had developed, and only a little spot of it was on Steven's shirt, which washed right out. Luckily the stuff inside was the consistency of hair gel, so it didn't really squirt, it was more of an oozing. So for those of you that have been to our house, or played with our octopus friend, and wondered what his guts looked like, here ya go:
As I was taking these pictured several more tiny holes developed so now our little friend resides at the county landfill. But he had a good run, over a year and a half. And he took quite a bit of abuse. Sammy thought he was a chew toy for a long time. Loved to stretch those tentacles between his gums. And although we will miss the "heavy eye" and the "heavy nose", and all that glorious squishiness we will always have our memories...
No comments:
Post a Comment