
Okay, since High school I have become less and less of a recreational reader than I used to be. I just run out of time and my brain doesn't like to focus on one thing for that long. Since I have been working, I have been reading on my breaks and am trying to train my brain to read more. I recently finished a really great book. I would probably be safe in saying that it is the best book that I have ever read (yes ladies and gentlemen, I even liked it more than, gasp!, Harry Potter.) It is called "The Fortune Cookie Chronicles, Adventure In The World Of Chinese Food". The Author is Jennifer 8 Lee ( yes her middle name really is the number 8), a new York Times reporter. It is such an interesting story because it basically goes through the history of Chinese food, and a lot of the major aspects of it (chop suey, immigrant workers, General Tso's chicken, take-out containers, etc) I love it because she is basically just delivering facts, but she makes it into an entertaining story. I heard about this book form Reader's Digest, of all places. They did an excerpt in one of their magazines. I read the few pages that they put in as a teaser and was hooked. I strongly advise anyone reading this, to read this book. Especially if you like to eat Chinese food!
Below is a little bit from the book's promotional material. they can say it better than I can!
There are more Chinese restaurants in America than McDonalds, Burger Kings, and Wendys combined. The Fortune Cookie Chronicles (March 2008 from Twelve Books) is for anyone who has ever wondered who is General Tso and why are we eating his chicken; why Jews eat Chinese food on Christmas; and who really invented the fortune cookie. New York Times reporter, Jennifer 8. Lee, solves enduring mysteries of Chinese cuisine through a mix of in-depth research and entertaining personal anecdotes. The book is a tribute to immigrants and to America. If our benchmark for Americanness is apple pie, ask yourself, how often do you eat apple pie? Now how often do you eat Chinese food?
No comments:
Post a Comment