Tuesday, July 15, 2008

An Awesome Barbeque

This past weekend we had the opportunity to be invited to a Barbeque hosted by Matt's good friend Jay. It had been a long time since we had seen Jay, his family, or Matt's group of friends (we used to hang out with the, more often, but being up in Logan complicated that). Seeing friends and family we haven't been able to spend time with very much is one of the reason's we are excited to be in the Salt Lake Area.
When we arrived Jay was in the midst of preparations. He went all out for this thing (unbeknownst to me, Jay is a fantastic cook!!). The food was so amazing. I was so full by the time we went home. As we were sitting there chatting, I was in the middle of an intense internal struggle. My stomach was screaming , "No more food, I can't take it." And my mouth was saying, "we have to eat it, it's too good to leave on the table!" Ultimately, my mouth won out because the food was so good I couldn't help myself.
Here is the master chef at the grill
Jay provided the meat and a few other things (including Hummus), and everyone else brought potluck dishes. There were so many delicious things: cookies, watermelon, fruit salad, and rice crispy treats. Jay had steak, chicken, hot dogs, and Hummus (which he made from scratch). He had all kinds of fun things to go with the hummus, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers and limes. I had never eaten hummus before (it's like a paste made with chickpeas and olive oil mostly, but it was delicious. Steven loved it as well.
Steven loving the Hummus
Jay also had these amazing tortilla's to eat the hummus with. He made them from scratch. I asked him about his recipe and he said that he didn't really have a recipe. Then he started naming ingredients (about 5 or 6) that he mixes together until it has the right consistency. In my head, I'm thinking that when there are that many ingredients involved, I need a recipe.
Here is the fantastic spread
Another great thing I learned, was how to cut pineapple!! (Thanks Darrell!!) In the past I would be in the produce section and think to myself, "some fresh pineapple would be really good, but I don't want to have to try to figure out how to cut it." (I know it's not hard, it's just involved...) Well, no more!! I am now a pineapple cuttin' woman!
It was so great to see all of Matt's friends that we hadn't seen in so long. We had so much fun talking about old times, and telling each other about what had been going on since the last time we had seen each other. I hope we get to see them all again soon.

No comments: