Sunday, January 11, 2009

Steven's First Snowman

With all the snow we have been getting, and then the warmer weather the last couple of days, Matt decided that Steven needed to experience building a snowman. This is saying a lot of Matt considering his hatred of snow, but it's only appropriate considering Steven's obsession with all things snowman.
So last Wednesday we braved the cold and went out to build a snowman. When I say we, I am mostly referring to Matt and Steven. As you can see in the picture below, Brandon and I aren't such troopers. Our contribution was pretty limited to what we could do from the back porch.



The snow had softened up a lot during the day, and was starting to freeze again so there was a crusty layer on the top making rolling the snowballs pretty much impossible. So Matt got a shovel and packed our snowman by hand.


Steven helped him for a while, then decided that he needed a shovel too, so I got him one of his sand shovels from summer and let him go at it.


Most of the building after this consisted of Matt building, and Steven digging up and throwing the snow.


They had a really good time though. When the snowman was finished Steven really liked looking at it.


When we forced him to come inside, so he didn't get too cold, he kept looking out the window and talking about the snowman. Sadly, the next day, was another warm one so 24 hours later, the snowman was headless. He was fun while he lasted though and I am grateful for a wonderful husband who will brave the cold to help our son create lasting memories in the snow. Maybe one of these days we'll get brave and try sledding...

No comments: