Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fort Herriman Days 2009

A couple of weeks ago Herriman had their Fort Herriman Days festival. They have a parade, booths and rides at Butterfield Park, and fireworks at dark. I thought it would be fun to participate in something that goes on here in our town, rather than just travel to Logan for all of their celebrations...
I took Steven to his first parade. I thought it would be so fun, catching candy, seeing the firetrucks and horses.... I loved parades when I was a kid! I now know that parades are on the out list for the future. Steven is NOT a fan. Before the parade even started, the police motorcycles came by and turned on their sirens right next to us. Steven HATED the loud siren noise and we spent the rest of the parade with me holding him, and standing way back from the street. He could have cared less about the candy or horses. That's okay. Now we know.


This picture was before the police motorcycles went by...
We skipped the booths and rides at the park partly because it was hot, and partly because I am cheap. We did go to the fireworks though. (It was a good trial run before we went to the Stadium in Logan the next weekend so we could see how the boys would react). We sat on the grass behind Fort Herriman Middle School, next to the park.

Here is our little family waiting for the sky to get dark...


You can't really see the shape, but we ate "kweekle tar marshmallows" while we waited.


Samuel loved Steven's blue glow stick



Okay here is where I make a small confession. I love to see the fireworks, but even more than that, I love to take pictures of the fireworks. I always take my tripod so I can put my camera on it and take pictures the entire time the fireworks are going off. I have hundreds of pictures like these two.
As for the boys' reaction, Samuel loved it and watched the entire time with big wide eyes. With Steven, we almost had a repeat of the freaking out we had at the parade but Matt got him calmed down. He really doesn't like the loud noise, but if he has his ears covered he really loves the fireworks.

Matt covering Steven's ears


Steven kept his ears plugged until we got in the car to go home. He wouldn't even unplug them for candy.
Overall, we had a lot of fun spending time as a little family. I think we will try to continue this tradition in the future. It was also good to know that our boys wouldn't freak out during the fireworks. Logan's fireworks here we come!

2 comments:

Oveson's said...

Wow great photos of the fireworks!! Looks like you guys had a great day!!!

Jennifer said...

I love your firework photos. I'm sorry Steven didn't like the parade. Joseph loves them. He wasn't a big fan of the fireworks though. After the first ten he got bored and just played in the darkness. Not used to being up that late.

glad you guys had a great fourth. We missed you. See ya on the 24th.